Sunday 27 March 2011

Sewing for pleasure

Every so often I try my hand at sewing, and I have been going to a social group twice a month on and off for a year or so. The people at Liverpool Sewing Club keep on helping me to try new sewing-related things, and although I haven't actually finished a project yet I've got a lot more done than I would have on my own.


Yesterday a few of us went down to Birmingham and visited the Sewing for Pleasure exhibition. After a couple of workshops (that I need to finish off the creations from) and a *lot* of walking I came across an amazing installation in support of the RNLI...a whole knitted undersea walk through tunnel culmanating in a life size knitted mermaid. She is very impressive, although slightly unsettling. See?

No pictures of the little workshop projects I did, as I haven't finished them off (and one is going into a package I'm planning to send so I don't want to spoil it).



Today I spent many hours really properly sorting out the back room. I've done a lot of the clearing out in the past, and so the stuff in there really needs to stay and be organised. After a break for lunch out in the sunshiney garden, Rosa came upstairs to 'help' by checking out every box, bag, shelf and newly revealed corner. The sorting's still all not done, but the room is getting there. The long term plan is a reading/sewing room with space for an airbed for people to stay on when they come to stay (and a new carpet). Today's sorting included bringing a general sense of order to the bookshelves (I should have waited for Rach's next visit and taken advantage of her librarian organising skillz)...*big* job as it turns out. We have a lot of books.


To recover I watched the second half of back to the future and drank lots of tea. Which always seems like a good plan.


Hope your Sundays have been relaxing and light (Summertime is here, in daylight hours at least).

No comments:

Post a Comment