Wednesday 27 July 2011

What I've been doing with my evenings




I have a confession to make... I've started running. And there's no-one chasing me.

It feels as if I'm letting my 14 year old self and all her friends down (as well as the inner girl of my current friends to) because exercise is something you're *supposed* to do, but don't really enjoy.

And now I'm a "grown up" it seems there are some types of exercise that are less "exercise"y than others, and running isn't one of them.

I know all this is in my head, my interpretation, a construct and no-one else cares if I run or cycle, do Zumba or lie on the sofa eating pies. I still felt the need to act "cool" and reluctant when I was asked to join in a team race work is doing in September though. Those teenage habits die hard.

So on the 4th of September I will be running a 5k team race around Liverpool dock front. I'm aiming to finish it in less than 40 minutes. Not a fast time, but I haven't really ever run so it feels realistic, yet still challenging.

Go team me! (our team name is actually "jog on")

1 comment:

  1. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!
    Or, you know, something less patronising (but no less heart-felt!)
    I have been feeling a real compulsion (strong enough word?) to get off my a$$ and exercise lately and am in absolute ga-ga shock that running even remotely appeals to me. But it does. (small voice)
    I'm not going to question it too much though, the fact that exercise is actually appealing to me as something I *want* to do is such a novelty I don't want to chase it away with too much self-examination :p
    Good luck with the 5k (in AWE!) are you getting sponsorship?

    ReplyDelete