Thursday 17 September 2009

What kind of landmark is a birthday? Is it possible that how you spend your birthday, the first day of your year, sets how your year will be? Your own personal St Swithin's day giving you a clue about the weather forcast for the year.
If so I'm feeling quite hopeful for this, my twenty-seventh year. My day seems to fit with the 'goals'/'aims' I've been thinking about recently.

Plans for the day
Morning before work: tend my tomatoes, pick lots of them and trim leaves. This gets me lots of yummy toms for lunch and reminds me that I want to keep my life balanced between work and everything else.

After picking toms: go swimming. Activity is the focus of this one. I *can* be more active and healthy so I end up feeling better about myself in the day to day.

Work: A positive morning helps me reflect on the fact my job benefits people and is worth doing. Today I was able to discharge a child because they'd made so much progress in the last 18 months that they are 'cured'. I then met with another child's mother and formed an intervention plan that felt very positive and that we're going to be working as a team to support the child.

Lunchtime: meet a friend for yummy, slightly too long lunch with lots of catching up. By the time we're done, and reluctantly go back to work, I'm feeling more connected and resolve to stay this way by making the effort more often.

Evening: my birthday dinner turns into a supersupersuperduper special treat. My fiance cleaned the house, prepared thoughtful presents and made me a lovely dinner. I need to remember to focus on what's good in life, be thankful for it and show appreication to the important people. It doesn't always take such a grand treat to make me do it, but I went to sleep feeling warm and fuzzy and loved. I made sure I said thank you.

I've been thinking about the 'goals' recently, and it seems good that my birthday would reflect them so well.

balanced life
be active
connect
reflect and show appreciation

No comments:

Post a Comment